Here is the final sketchbook spread. It's not much different than what you saw in my last post. However, I learned much while on this journey.
What you see above includes additional shading in the rosette to the right, and an exploration of shapes in the sketch to the left, most of them scrubbed away. I discovered that when I added more definition to the group of flowers to the left the overall effect was much too busy.
So I scrubbed the area to reclaim its softness. I lost some of the freshness in the process, but gained a lot of valuable information for future reference. Below you see the original sketch I created on the patio, on the left, the final sketch, on the right. I enjoyed seeing this comparison.