Monday, October 21, 2013

A beautiful fence - Maree

“Good farmers, who take seriously their duties as stewards of Creation and of their land's inheritors, contribute to the welfare of society in more ways than society usually acknowledges, or even knows. These farmers produce valuable goods, of course; but they also conserve soil, they conserve water, they conserve wildlife, they conserve open space, they conserve scenery.”
― Wendell Berry, Bringing it to the Table: Writings on Farming and Food  

Ink sketch and colour wash in Moleskine watercolour sketchbook.

Last month, on a public holiday, I took a drive with my husband to a customer's farm to go and have a look at a classic car the gentleman was selling and thank goodness we were in my husband's 4x4, the road was atrocious! 

I've got a thing about rickety old fences and asked hubby to stop so I could do a quick sketch. I added the colour once we were home again. The day was fruitless as far as buying anything was concerned but I was entranced by the natural beauty of his farm and managed to get in quite a few sketches while the men were talking cars.

::

2 comments:

  1. I love old fences too. This one captures the character of why they are so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Elva, just can't drive by one without sketching it!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.