Thursday, September 26, 2013

Bittersweet Berries in Gold - Lin Frye

7 1/2" x 11"
Arches 140#CP

While visiting my mom, I would often take a short walk along the woodland roadsides that border my sister's road. I am always enthralled by the treasures I find in these 'wild' areas. This year, the bittersweet had already set seed and the berries were mustard in color - a deeper brown/yellow than the leaves I've painted. I plucked a bit of branch to bring inside to paint. After a few hours, though, the golden husks of the berries had shattered, exposing the most glorious orange/red seeds ... and creating the subject ripe for painting.

As the days went by, I found more 'shattered' husks as more of the golden bittersweet turned crimson with seed and brightened the roadside foliage. Leaves were beginning to turn color in earnest, and I was enjoying the orange, gold and russet of the sassafras as well as the bright red of sumac.

Here at home the sycamore and tulip poplar have already turned a rich mustard/gold and in some cases, earth-brown as they fall fast from the trees.

I really do love this season, and it won't be long before I'll have enough under my feet for crunching!

Lin Frye
North Carolina

2 comments:

  1. You certainly have a good eye for all the fall colours Lin, beautiful sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your ability to draw all those lovely leaf shapes without drawing lines. Over and over again I enjoy your ability to do that in your paintings.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.