Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Fat Fellows

I'm either very brave or very reckless to follow one of Alessandro's bird paintings but here goes. This White-throated Sparrow and Junco were just two of the many birds at my feeder on New Year's Eve. It was like they all gathered to party!

I spent New Year's Day on a hike in the woods with several of my Master Naturalist friends. I'm always amazed at the combined (and individual) knowledge of that group. I learned how to identify the acorns from a Scarlet Oak and saw my very first Over-cup Oak. We found large Oyster mushroom, tiny Turkey Tail ones, plus a branch full of Wood Ears (edible but...ick!). I hope to have some sketches from this hike later. I didn't have time to sketch with the group but took lots of photos to work from. All in all, a wonderful way to start the new year!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Paula! I especially love the junco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. They are cute little guys aren't they?

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.