Saturday, November 10, 2012

Right in my Back Yard!


I first noticed a black-tailed deer doe and one fawn feeding in my yard, something this doe didn't usually do in broad daylight.  I knew there were two fawns so I looked for the second.  It lay under my grapes breathing heavily..... and soon died.  Within five minutes a turkey vulture arrived.  I suspect he had been watching from a nearby tree.

That day and the next I had a fascinating, front row seat to a very natural event in nature.  More and more turkey vultures arrived.  The dark interior of the house gave me the opportunity to be far closer than I had ever been in the past.

These are the pictures I drew on location.  For a longer description and photos I'll be posting on my blog:  www.elvafieldnotes.blogspot.com


1 comment:

  1. What a story Elva! I read the details on your blog. I assume the vultures finally cleaned the entire carcass.
    P.S. I love your sketch of the wild fire!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.