Saturday, September 24, 2011

Woodland Mouse


Woodmouse, Apodemus sylvaticus, Ink.

Yesterday he (or she) showed up on our terrace again. Although I get a bit worried when I see a mouse, I know it is a Woodmouse and it will stay outside our home. I don't have to worry it will get hundreds of babies in out basement. Woodmice are seed eaters, like oak, beech, ash, lime, hawthorn and sycamore. I am grateful this mouse eats small invertebrates such as snails and insects too because we have plenty of snails. We have owls too. So, the owls control the amount of mice, the mice control our snails. That is how nature works.

Paula Kuitenbrouwer
Mindful Drawing

5 comments:

  1. Paula -

    What a delightful and sensitive sketch. A bit of natural history in values of red - wonderful in its uniqueness too! I visited your blog which is a happy blend of facts, musings, and paintings.

    Thank you,
    Nanina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Gary and Nanina. I hope to see our wood mouse soon again. And now off to your blogs to see your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful painting of the wood mouse, and some interesting info, too.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.