Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sparkleberry - Pam Johnson Brickell


I recently found a Sparkleberry, Vaccinium arboreum, shrub in my neighborhood. I love these shrub/small trees. This little specimen looked more like a small tree as there were no branches close to the ground. Sparkleberry (don't you just love the name?) has lovely little white flowers in the spring, that remind me of Lily of the Valley. The branches are crooked and twisted - catching my calligraphic eye. The leaves are tardily deciduous and in the fall turn a lovely redish purple that graces the glossy green leaves. And, the berries....... well, they truly sparkle!

I used Pentel Sign Pens to create this sketch. They are new to me and more about the whole process is blogged here.

6 comments:

  1. Pam -- this is so bright and cheeful -- the colors and painting are so attractive and beautiful!!! I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam,
    In love with your sparkleberry too... Love what you did with the pentel pens, still using them in a loose manner. A challenge wonderfully met!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful, Pam...I'd never heard of sparkleberry, wish I could see some! I love your exploration of new tools...is good to be stubborn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone!

    Kate, the map in my tree book shows the lower SE side of Missouri as having them. Looks like from Springfield east and as high as where Rts. 70, 55 & 40 meet. Happy hunting in the spring :)

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.