Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Big Honkin' Beetle - Laura Gillis

I haven’t done an insect in a while and this big beetle has been begging me to sketch him for a month or two now. My dear, sweet husband found this big honkin’ beetle and brought it to me back in August and I am just now getting around to sketching him into the Bug Journal. (Believe me, I know just how lucky I am to have a man who will bring me bugs to sketch!)




I had trouble finding this beetle in my books so I turned to the internet... and, after much testing of my patience on my slower-than-Christmas dial-up connection, I have narrowed it down to one of the large longhorn beetles: Order Coleoptera; Family Cerambycidae, sub-family, Prioninae.


He really is a big beetle too -- 55 mm long and 18 mm wide! (That is almost 2.25 inches long and .75 inches wide for us non-scientific American folks.) And with large wicked-looking mandibles on the front of this guy I think a lot of folks might head the other way when they meet him.


It took longer to identify the beetle than it did to sketch it. Ha! But I do feel so much better now knowing what it is.


Ink & watercolor in the Moleskine watercolor journal

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this, Laura! And you are indeed lucky...it's good to have your bugs back, and your boundless curiosity.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.