Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Florida Scrub Jay and It's Two-fold Gift--Vickie Henderson

Nature is the inspiration for my art, always giving me a lift and a gift at each encounter.  But painting is not always an easy endeavor,  primarily because I'm creating.  And creating involves risk, stepping into the unknown.  I have to deal with my own obstacles, like self-doubt and  fear.
Besides giving me delight at our first meeting, this endangered Florida Scrub Jay gave me another boost while I was painting him.  When I began to doubt that the painting's values were going to work, I focused on the bird's face and completed the other details in its body.  At that point, I fell in love with the bird all over again and the light and dark values began to fall into place.

For more about the progress of this painting and its challenges, visit:  A Florida Scrub Jay and the Illusive Nature of Confidence at Vickie's Sketchbook.

9 x 12 watercolor on Arches 140# cold press paper

9 comments:

  1. Goodness this is stunning. Audubon worthy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! I love the soft dappled background and the detail that brings its face into focus. Your connection to this bird really shows in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a beautiful bird, thanks to your care and attention!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vickie, this is exquisite!Absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous, Vickie, so glad you persevered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Wow Vickie! Absolutely great! Love the way his tail dictates his posture, SO typical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so very much, everyone! Another boost of encouragement. Makes me want to paint some more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well DO please, we always look forward to your wonderful observations, Vickie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the light you acquire in your watercolors. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.