Monday, December 21, 2009

Cedar Waxwing


My youngest daughter has a persimmon orchard on her property. By December only the soft mushy orange globes are left on the bare branches of the trees. The fruits attract lots of birds. Occasionally there is a window fatality. It is always sad when one of these beautiful creatures dies, but it did give me the opportunity to really look at this little guy.

My daughter had found a wing (leftovers from a kitty meal I'm sure.) with little red feathers on the wingtips last year. She saved it because it was so beautiful. She gave me last year's saved wing as well as this year's whole bird. When I was looking on-line to find photos of the Cedar Waxwing alive I saw some had the little red feathers on the wingtips. So even though the bird my daughter gave me to draw did not have the wingtip red feathers I added them on my drawing.

4 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful rendition of a Cedar Waxwing. The mouth being open really makes it seem alive. The red tips add a lot to the illio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous, Gay! I saw a few of them when I was in California last month, but no chance to sketchm them before they flew. I'm glad you took this opportunity...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A real beauty, Gay. Love how your calligraphy intermingles with the branch!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully done Gay. Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.