Tuesday, September 15, 2009

graphite-free doodling by Vicky Williamson

graphite-free doodling
graphite-free doodling
Originally uploaded by vickylw

I didn't post this earlier, not being sure whether it "counted" --- I cut this bit of grass to bring inside to sketch instead of working outside. If I'm outside for any length of time in the summer, I fight intense insect-bite allergies for 2 - 3 weeks after. (OK, I'm a wimp)

I love the gracefulness of these weedy grasses. Our small yard is more weed than grass; too bad there's no native bluestem grass. That kind of grass is gorgeous!

8 comments:

  1. You BET it counts, Vicky! It's lovely...I've sketched bugs that wandered into my house, and if it's cold, hot, or snowing I'm just fine with working from something I've dragged in. Sometimes I work in my car, under adverse conditions. You GO girl--and don't make yourself sick in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again, Kate. I guess I tend to put too much pressure on myself. (and I wondered where my daughter got that tendency?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the feel of this! A someone with allergies, I sympathize. I have to bring things in to paint too sometimes, especially now as it's been raining so much. I feel we are still sketching from nature. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this! It has such a fresh look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. It has been so long since I've tried sketching anything without a pen or pencil drawing to start, I will have a go soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Henrietta, the more you do it, the easier it becomes. I'm still intimidated by not being able to erase & change, but more confident than I used to be. For me, it isn't whether using pencil first is right or wrong -- it's more about building confidence in myself.

    Organic things like these weeds are always an easy subject to start with. Who's to know if it didn't bend exactly like your sketch shows?

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.