Sunday, August 9, 2009

If you're lost in the woods in August...

You will survive! Just dig up the tubers of Apios Americana...they can be eaten raw or cooked and are quite similar to potatoes...but have 3 times the protein. I feel I've hit the jackpot with this plant: widely eaten by many American Indian tribes and quickly adopted by settlers, too. As an owner of "Stalking the Wild Asparagus" I have been so disappointed to find so few edible wildflowers. Success at last and a big Thank You to Floraquebeca for correcting my ID on the original photo

4 comments:

  1. I don't remember ever seeing these! Beautiful color, and the growing habit is so graceful...thank you, Jeanette! I'll be on the lookout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A plant that is beautiful AND edible, definitely the jackpot! You've rendered this beautifully; I especially like those mug shots of the flower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy your layouts - informative, creative and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.