Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Conjoined Susies--Teri Casper

My granddaugther found this conjoined Black-eyed Susie and I had to sketch it. Isn't it odd? Looks like two flowers never separated and stayed as one. I emphasized the two black seed heads but they are really one with the yellow rays surrounding it. There is only one stem.Has anyone ever seen anything like this or know why it happens?
I am editing this to give the explanation given to me on my Blog:
Yes, I can help! (I have my uses after all!...) I work in the information office at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Your flower is exhibiting a phenomenon called "fasciation", which usually arises when the growing point of a plant is damaged slightly. The plant will start to produce exessive amounts of some types of cells, leading to a bizarrely-shaped overgrowth, often of flowering tissue. The daisy family are rather prone to it for some reason. The results are almost always amazing to look at.
This was from Imogene in London.
The Internet is truly an information highway!!

3 comments:

  1. Isn't nature fascinating, Teri?! Thanks for sharing this...maybe it's the same kind of phenom that makes 4 or 5-leaf clovers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's fascinating - what a learning experience that has been for you (and us) . And a lovely drawing too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you found out what causes this unusual looking flower.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.