Monday, May 18, 2009

Meet the Correspondents--Andrew Henwood, Saying Hello.



Hi there!

Kate has generously invited me to join this blog, so I thought I should check in and introduce myself.

I am retired, living in Niagara-on-the-Lake, or, as I like to point out - the South Coast of Canada. The last few years have seen me gradually working a little more on my sketching and painting, especially since I signed up to 'Flickr'. I do find great inspiration there, amongst so many good artists, and so I recognize that this blog, being a more specialized venue will enable me to enjoy and learn from yet more people who share similar interests.

I like to work a fairly wide range of media, subject and size: still exploring at a fairly basic level to find what suits me best, so I haven't actually done much nature sketching yet. I enjoy this area for a number of reasons though, which lead me to look forward to doing more. I like the easy and universal accessibility of good subject matter, and the fact that one is enabled to use lots of happy colours. And one more most agreeable feature - that no-one is to say that a flower has to be absolutely symmetrical to be beautiful; as opposed say, to a portrait. This allows those of us who find good drawing often to be a frustrating challenge to relax a little and find some freedom in small sketches from nature.

I look forward to meeting new friends here and finding lots of interesting work to appreciate. I have enclosed a link here (I think), to my site on Flickr, where you may find what I have been up to so far with my art.

Best regards to you all, from Andrew

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Andrew, thank you for joining us! I love your fritillaria, as you know! (I added your name and locale...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew, nice to meet you! I've seen your artwork on Flickr from time to time. I agree with you that nature sketching is quite agreeable! Beautiful study you've done.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.