Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Texas wildflowers



The first explosion of native wildflowers has begun, the first I found up close being the blanket flowers growing on a street corner in Somerville, Texas. Yesterday I stopped to get a closer look at the bluebonnets, Indian paintbrush, and tickseed blooming near highway 36 and FM 1948. Washington county will soon be covered in glorious color — this year, the peak bloom time is expected on Easter weekend, though they will continue through next month. And summer varieties will soon follow . . .

4 comments:

  1. It's been argued that the reason so many feel "left behind" is because the internet feeds us with biased presentations of everyone else's lives, as we always talk about the good stuff and ignore the bad stuff.

    I relate to this notion most in spring, when there are 'explosions of wildflowers' going on as I look outside at three feet of snow in my front yard :-) Then again, seeing a bit of how the other half live does leave me hopeful that we'll get spring here too... in 4 to 6 weeks. Beautiful drawings, Vicky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While Kansas winters were nothing compared to Canada, I remember our grown kids bragging to us about springtime in Texas as we shivered in ice and blustery wind. Now that we’ve moved here, I can understand their excitement!

    The thing that gives me that “left behind” feeing on the internet are all those groups getting together to sketch! I had that with Cathy Johnson, Don Gore, John Payne, Warren Ludwig and other sketchbook artists when in Kansas; no one in this area is interested in simply drawing for the fun of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about that, Vicky. I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I _could_ just go out on my own personal sketchcrawl . . . dodging fire ants, scorpions, venomous snakes, farm road traffic, and feral hogs! I’ve considered buying real cowboy boots just for that purpose.

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.