Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Giraffe pastel-Concetta Flore

I really love soft pastels and they seem to me an ideal media for atmospheric situations. I was pondering on a photo I took in Namibia, of this solitary giraffe in a vast, flat stretch of land with no trees. An eerie image for an animal that is architectural in its proportions and strict geometry, massive and graceful. So I thought of rendering the scene in a slightly dramatic light, and proceeded to do so on sanded paper (the kind made for pastels ). I just had to get it out of my system; so here it is, not from nature direct, but from my second trip through my pictures.
On second thoughts, maybe I overdid it...

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, the pastels are SO evocative here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always surprise me, well done Concetta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is indeed beautiful. Makes you want to know what it is he sees from way up there.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.