Sunday, June 5, 2011

Pink Lady's Slipper Orchid, New York's Lake Durant


I found my journal sketches of the wildflowers near our camp at Lake Durant, including that elusive pink lady's slipper orchid.  Like Concetta, I had a bit of trouble getting a clear idea of this one; orchids often like shade, but this had bits of sunlight shining through as well.  My eyes were confused! 

It was also in June, but a bit later in the month...around the 25th, I think.

We've got orchids here in Missouri too...mostly the white ones, of the lady's slipper types, but also Pogonia, TwayBlade, Fringed, and Coral Roots among others...

The yellow flower is Clintonia...also known as Yellow Corn-Lily.  You can read more about it here.

Still not sure what the little lavender one is--any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.