Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Morning Glory and Sweet Autumn Clematis - Lin Frye

Daily Practice
Journal Size

I started this painting over the weekend from a photo I took of a corner of my garden. The sweet autumn clematis is in full bloom, and those midnight blue/purple morning glories have found a way to wind themselves around and through the other vine. I'm not very happy with the way this turned out - I think it needs some darkening, the morning glories need shape improvement and all of it needs adjustments in composition. What I like about it though is the soft background and overall color scheme...... I see another attempt in my future! LOL

I might mention that if you've never grown sweet autumn clematis, you may want to give that robust plant a try. Last year, the entire vine was skeletonized by hordes of cucumber beetles -- not once, but TWICE, and yet grew back to full size, blooming three times! This year, the vine is as vigorous as ever -- with the sweetest fragrance ... so easy to grow -- just give it lots of vertical space to climb!

It's raining and the garden is rejoicing!

Lin Frye
North Carolina

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.