Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Summer madness in Winter! - Maree

“In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer.”
- Albert Camus



Isn't it amazing how our palettes take on the colours of our seasons? During Autumn I was celebrating the change of seasons with bright browns, oranges and yellows. As we're experiencing the cold of Winter here in South Africa now, my palette has been consisting of browns, greys, cold blues and dry yellows, even black, depicting Mother Earth as she struggles through the short days and long nights, hoping for Spring once more.

I actually started sketching some of the grasses in a corner at my pond, they had these gorgeous feathery tufts on them, but I've been longing to use some of my favourite colours - like the Alizarin Crimson here and there was quite a bit just sitting there in my palette, so, breaking out of my "seasonal rut", I just did a quick dab of colour to brighten my day!

2 comments:

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.