Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Very Blue Lungwort - Sigrid Frensen

It's spring. That means a lot of blue flowers in my garden right now. Scilla, Muscari, Hyacinth and also the first Pulmonaria or Lungwort. I have many different variaties in my garden of this lovely perennial but today I painted one of my favourites. Pulmonaria angustifolia. It has extremely blue flowers (although the buds have a rich magenta colour) and the leaves are green (not variegated like most Lungworts). It was a quick study and a small one but I loved to try and catch that electric blue colour.

Pulmonaria angustifolia

To get the right colour I used French Ultramarine, a bit of Violet and a little Paynes grey. To make the perfect colour for the shadow (in the blue) I mixed French Ultramarine with Cadmium Red. A wonderful mossy green I got by mixing Paynes Grey with Raw Umber. A really nice surprise that was :)

4 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful blue! Thanks for explaining what colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your tips on how you got the colors you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigrid, that color is stunning...black and yellow make a nice subtle green, too, so I guess the color choice you found shouldn't be TOO surprising. (Is, though, and thanks for sharing the information!)

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.