Friday, February 26, 2010

The other side of Harties - Maree

"...try to forget what objects you have before you, a tree, a house, a field or whatever ... merely think here is a little square of blue, here an oblong of pink, here a streak of yellow, and paint it just as it looks to you, the exact color and shape..."
- Claude Monet



For me, this is "the other side of Hartebeespoort Dam" (also known as Harties) - not the usual route we always take over the dam wall, but turning off at Van Gaalen's Cheese Farm and going into the Villa D'Afrique housing estate - the estate has got a wildness about it, away from the normal hustle and bustle of the dam, very peaceful and quiet. This is watercolour in my Moleskine watercolour sketch-book.

I found a comfortable rock, prepared my palette and just put the colour straight on the paper, with no sketching, starting with the water - the reflections were great and high above the the Magaliesberg mountains the vultures were soaring, not in my pic, making use of the warm thermals to gain height. A perfect day for sketching!

6 comments:

  1. I've said it before---you really have a way with landscapes! I love your quote, too, a perfect accompaniment to this beautiful sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Carol! Your comment is heart-warming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maree,

    I love your style of drawing and painting. It is at the same time simple and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Pam, I know you saw it on my blog - thanks for commenting again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the kind comment Bob!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.