Saturday, February 13, 2010

Cooley Lake Wildlife Area and the Orcs

When Orcs get out in nature

5 bald eagles, both mature and young, thousands of geese, and one bunch of Orcs.

I thought about painting all the bright colors--Cheetos orange and red, the black and lime and orange of the energy drinks, but I didn't want them to look bright and cheerful. In this context they were ugly, and that's how I painted them.

This is at Cooley Wildlife Area, a Missouri Department of Conservation Site and an old oxbow of the nearby Missouri River...

8 comments:

  1. I love the perspective you given this piece. Trash feels sooooo huge in such a setting, And, it is!! This needs to be a poster - big poster. Maybe it will sink in that we human create Orcs with careless behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Pam! I really did need for it to be as ugly as it WAS...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Orcs is what my husband calls degenerates, too - perfect term for litterbugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, the sketch works so well, I feel as if I've been there, you capture atmosphere so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sketch Kate, and I see the litter - but what on earth is Orcs?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all! Maree, you'd need to have read Lord of the Rings, or seen the movie. Orcs are sub-human beings, actually...they don't care about anything but their immediate need or desire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very effective - really proves the adage: "A picture is worth a thousand words" - Thank you so much for sharing your gift. Any time I have the opportunity to view one of your paintings, I feel blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, very much! Yes, sketches can capture not only the scene, but our feelings. I was NOT happy with the litter...

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.