Saturday, January 9, 2010

01-07-feeder birds


01-07-feeder birds
Originally uploaded by Cathy (Kate) Johnson

Definitely the time of year for watching feeder birds! I love doing quick sketches of them, and then refining details and adding color, later.

We bought a suet cake to give the birds some protein and fat, but the store didn't have a feeder, so I threw one together with a wire coat hanger and some picture wire...seems to be holding up, even with The Assault of the Starving Starlings!

We've had all kinds of birds, here and on our platform feeder and finch feeders. Yesterday when I made squash soup, I put the seeds and pith of the squash out on the table, and it was gone in minutes!

Poor hungry mites...

Our friend Toni Kelly shared her recipe for home made suet cakes--we'll try that next: http://www.goerieblogs.com/other/presqueislenaturally/2009/12/easy-suet-mix.html

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to have this blog. The art work is outstanding and inspirational. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL sketch Cathy and I just love the home-made coathanger birdfeeders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, Kate! Oh, oh. Off to Walmart I go for lard :)

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.