Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Garden Tomatoes


My Garden Tomatoes
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal

My garden tomatoes are finally ripening enough to gather! I'm growing four varieties - an Italian plum, Marglobe, Better Boy (my husband's favorite) and these, an Italian hybrid that, though not shaped like the grapes they were supposed to, are more like an enormous cherry tomato - and just on the cusp between the acidic I love and that wonderful sweetness that tomatoes have -- YUMM! I can't wait to get home to gather more - and turn them into one of my favorite, easy to cook recipes that uses fresh tomatoes, a few dried tomatoes, somebit of all the squash that is being harvested, olive oil, butter, onions and basil and served over spaghetti -- WOWZA! My mouth is watering already! LOL I snapped a few photos of my tomatoes before I left for the week and painted these at Rebecca's last night.

I'm off for the day to coordinate my Art Council's plein air event. We're going to a Tobacco Farm Life Museum -- lots of architecture and shade trees for the heat that is supposed to come this afternoon.

OH! I'd also like to invite you to send a ecard from the Arboretum!!! It's a new feature on our webpage and uses some of the flowers we have growing here --

http://www.johnstoncc.edu/arboretum.

I hope you enjoy it -- and the day!

Lin Frye
North Carolina

5 comments:

  1. Lin, this would make a fantastic print or card all by itself, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS beautiful! You've captured those lovely satiny tomato skins just right. I can see this on a card, too! Or a ceramic tile...or a cookbook cover...or...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful painting Lin. I wish my tomatoes were this big and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much!!!! The tomatoes, Teri, are really less than 3" in diameter -- wider and rounder than the grape shape (1 1/2") they were supposed to be ... but they are so good! LOL I have to be vigilent -- something is nibbling a few of the redder ones -- grrr.....!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say two things; yum and wow!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.