Monday, July 13, 2009

Butterfly time

Arctic Blue on Shooting Star, photo reference used with permission of Sharon Wander

For several years, I’ve done volunteer artwork in the form of a black and white drawing for the North American Butterfly Association’s annual count report. Most of my drawings have been done from my own reference photos coupled with personal observation, but this year I used a reference drawing from a photo taken by the count report editor, Sharon Wander. I did this in charcoal and ink on coquille board. I guess I was in the mood to learn about a new butterfly and a new medium!

All of the knowledge I learned from drawing butterflies in the past came into play for this one since I didn’t have the luxury of seeing this in person. In a way, it made me especially attentive to the similarities and differences the Arctic Blue has to our Florida butterflies.

I thought I’d share this with you since summertime is butterfly time for many of us. If you’d like to learn more about the North American Butterfly Association (NABA), go online to their website.

6 comments:

  1. ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GRACIOUS -- YOUR SHADING IS EVER SO PERFECT!!!!! BRAVA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    Lin , The coquille board really helps with the shading. It's a bit frustrating, but also quite magical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea what coquille board is. I have to find out what the Dutch word for this is and it all be clearer for me I'm sure. I absolutely love your new found technique. This is a marvelous drawing Elizabeth. You can be very proud about this one :)))
    It actually looks a bit like my style. Might have to try this too some time. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.