Sunday, April 12, 2009

Meet the Correspondents--Vicky Williamson

I loved drawing as a child --- seemed to do it all the time. After becoming discouraged in high school, I ignored art for 33 years while raising a family of 1 daughter and 3 sons. All are adults now; 3 are married and living in Texas -- each of them have given us a grandchild. Our youngest son is single and in the Navy, stationed aboard an aircraft carrier out of Norfolk, VA.



Desire grew in me to get back into art after reading "J.R.R. Tolkien, Artist and Illustrator" (by Wayne G. Hammond & Christina Scull) and Cathy Johnson's book, "The Sierra Club Guide to Sketching in Nature". I was invited to join a local watercolor group in August 2005, where I was introduced to watercolor for the first time and loved it.
In May 2007, I began to keep a sketchbook, starting with the Every Day Matters challenge list. Now keeping a personal sketch journal is an almost daily habit that I plan to keep the rest of my life. Tending to be a bit of a hermit, I am trying to learn new habits in getting "out there" in nature to sketch and journal. Maybe even paint the Flint Hills someday. (The burning prairies as I drove home yesterday were eerily awesome to behold!)

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic illustrations of the arum.... I pulled 6 seeds from a wild seedhead last autumn and stratified them in my refrigerator over winter. Today every one of them germinated...I plan to put half of them back in the woods and plant the others in my garden. I didn't know what the root looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is so cool, Jeanette! I like that you are re-seeding the woods as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this kind of close study of a plant, bird, mammal, habitat...I hope we see more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicky, I'm a bit of a hermit myself and find it hard to get out there, too. Nice to read about you ~ that arum study is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki... Do you live in Kansas. I am currently living in Wichita and drive through the Flint Hills quite a bit, as my husband and I travel to Kansas City to visit family.

    If so, I would love to meet and maybe set up a date to go sketching.

    warmly,
    Tracie Lyn Huskamp

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.