Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Swallowtail and Broad-bodied Chaser




A Swallowtail and a Broad-bodied Chaser, coloured pencil by Paula Kuitenbrouwer
at www.mindfuldrawing.com

Swallowtail butterflies I saw in Italy. The Broad-bodied Chaser dragonflies lives in the Netherlands. They look wonderful, as if their blue body shines iridescent bluish light. For the blue and a few other areas, I’ve used Derwent Metallic pencils to add that special shine dragonflies (and many insects) often have. If you try to follow a Broad-bodied Chaser with your eye, you get dizzy. They are fast! However, you always find them back, because their remarkable bluish body betrays them.:-)
Paula 

7 comments:

  1. Just beautiful Paula, especially the wings on the Chaser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well done Paula. I'm in awe of your colored pencil work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Teri. I did the wings with graphite and used an electric eraser to take away a few part to create the illusion of transparency.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Teri and Paula.
    I did the wings with graphite only. I used an electric eraser to take away a bit of the wings to create an illusion of transparency.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful drawing!! Interesting pencils!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do AMAZING things with colored pencil! I always learn from your posts, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. I'm especially impressed by those transparent wings.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you, your questions, comments, observations! Please feel free to comment, feedback is important to us.